Decommissioning preparations began in 2007
- Project start date September 1, 2010
- Spent fuel removed from wet storage to a dry fuel storage facility. Start demolition of Fuel Storage Building by 2014
- Completion of plant dismantlement and site restoration work (except for the spent fuel storage facility) in 2018
- Partial site release from NRC license in 2020
- Site ready for beneficial reuse in 2020
As radiological decommissioning work is completed and independently verified by the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, ZionSolutions will:
- demolish and remove off-site clean equipment, buildings, and structures;
- backfill and stabilize subsurface openings and excavated areas; and
- grade and seed the site to achieve a natural contour that blends in with the local environment.
- After the site is restored, the electrical switchyard and spent fuel storage facility will remain, while the rest of the property is ready for beneficial reuse.